August 24, 2006

Omkara

I finally relented and succumbed to the pressure and went for a 10 pm Omkara show yesterday. I was wrongly presuming Omkara to be a tear-jerking loser's story which would leave me fuming in the end. Yeah it has a tragic end but perhaps since I knew it beforehand I was quite prepared for it! And yes Omkara lives upto all the rave reviews it has fetched. The clear winner is definitely Saif Ali Khan who looks very convincing in his role of the wily Langda Tyaagi. He mumbles all those expletives with ease and dons a look that resembles a UP thug the most. Kareena Kapoor manages to look ethereal and somehow I feel whenever she tones down her make up she has the capability to weave magic. Ajay Devgun is his normal self with the silent intense look. Konkana Sen is one lady who can perform any role with aplomb. She looks as rustic as her husband-in-the-movie Saif. After seeing her 15th Park Avenue and many other movies I have no doubt about her histrionics. The director has done a wonderful job too with the sets and the extras all looking like straight out of UP. And yes all those gaalis in chaste hindi were difficult to fathom. But ont thing I failed to empathize in the movie was the jealousy factor of Omkara in the movie. He did not seem to have definite reason to commit the heinous crime. I feel there should have been more reasons for Omkara to cast aspersions on his beloved's character and to label her as infidel. Nevertheless a must watch movie.

No comments: