- Your travel schedule spells CRAZY
- You come to the lab only to go to the gym :|
- You start enjoying the process of giving talks.
- You can give a talk about your research in your sleep.
- You start adding your labmates and your advisor on linkedin
- When you have a job! (May be this should be the first point)
- You are finally cooking like crazy at home
- You are barely working :P
- When your periods of absence from the lab is greater than all the other years combined.
- When you realize the difference between an accepted paper and a great paper.
- When you always have a paper ready to submit to a conference, most likely recycled from previous rejections.
- When your advisor no longer pushes you for any work be it meetings or research.
- When you prepare a list of things to do and it does not contain work but contains a list of places to visit.
- When you finally start visiting nooks and corners of your campus.
- When your parents come to visit you.
- When you start clicking photos of your campus.
- When you finally get the time to read books, watch movies in theatres, follow TV serials.
- When the biggest activity of your day is the gym :P
- When you are available on chat from multiple accounts :D
- When you are embarrassingly the first person to like your friends FB posts.
- When it takes you two weeks to write what you'd have ideally written in two hours.
- When you write blogs like this :P
December 03, 2012
September 06, 2012
Summer has come and passed The innocent can never last wake me up when September ends here comes the rain again falling from the stars drenched in my pain again becoming who we are as my memory rests but never forgets what I lost wake me up when September ends ring out the bells again like we did when spring began wake me up when September endsCome tomorrow, Adi is flying out to California to begin a new life and job and my beautiful summer of 2012 comes to an end. But I think we were also lucky that we got to do a PhD in the same university - attending classes together, going to the university together esp on weekends to work when there was no one around and facing all the challenges both from the coursework and the inclement winter weather, having lunch together and being just a floor away from each other, cheering each other during the paper deadlines and just going out for a walk together when the Sun shined bright. Minneapolis and the university will not be the same again but I really had a great time due to having hubby around.
August 20, 2012
July 20, 2012
Hubby dear's friends/lab mates/ex-roomates/classmates/co-workers/family members all know about his penchant for solving puzzles and asking them. When we started going around, I was subjected to one puzzle a day until when I strongly protested :P. Whenever, we have a re-union of friends and his btech batchmates, the usual ritual is that they are subjected to solve puzzles, puzzles and more puzzles after a glass of beer. This time in Dec we were all up till 3 am in consecutive nights solving puzzles given by him. He maintains a blog on algorithms and puzzles to whet his appetite. However, today his puzzle solving obsession peaked a new height when I saw him talking to my Mom in the kitchen. He was making her solve a few of his usual puzzles :P What to say but that I married the cutest geek!
July 01, 2012
Ever since mom has come to the US, I have been getting the pleasures of eating all the stuff at home that I missed for 4 years! One of her recipes that I really like (and that I think I can make myself) is Vegetable pulao. Here is the recipe -
Ingredients: Rice Oil 1 tblsp Jeera 2-3 Tejpaat 10 Black pepper 3 Badi Ilaichi 3 Laung 2 Cinamon sticks 1 Ripe tomato made into puree and mixed 1 Onion chopped 1/2 inch ginger grated 1 Potato chopped 2 Carrot chopped into long slices 1/2 cup cauliflower chopped 1/2 cup beans chopped. 1 Large spoon oil Salt as per taste 1 Cup rice cooked
- Heat 1 spoon oil. Put jeera, tejpaat, pepper, cinamon, laung ang ilachi
- Fry onions until light brown. Fry grated ginger too.
- Put all vegetables and let them cook for some time.
- Once the vegetables are done, add tomato puree and stir for sometime.
- Add cooked rice and mix.
April 08, 2012
Hubby and I completed our 5th anniversary on Friday. Co-incidentally this Friday April 6th was also a good Friday as it was 5 years ago. It's very hard to believe that it has already been 5 years as it just feels like yesterday when I fell for this boy in my class who loved bunking classes, watching movies and solving algorithms and puzzles. After 5 years I think a lot of things are still the same but may be some have changed. One of the things that have changed is that we both have become similar to each other. I can't believe 5 years ago I would have frequently deleted my FB account or he would have eaten garlic (although must admit still very reluctantly!). And the things that have not changed is that we still watch movies by dozens and he still remains the best part of me.
March 11, 2012
After long I prepared something I liked :) Ingredients Paneer 2 medium onions 4 cloves garlic 1/2 inch ginger 2-3 green chillies 2 ripe tomoato 1 cup milk 1/2 cup yoghurt dry fruits - 10-12 kaaju, 5-6 badaam, 5-6 raisins 1/2 tsp garam masala (optional, I like it without it as well) 1 tblsp anardaana dry 1 tblsp cumin seeds 1 pinch hing 1 pinch black pepper powder Oil Salt, turmeric to taste Preparation: 1. Grind onions, ginger, garlic, chillies, anardaana into a fine paste. 2. Heat oil and add cumin seeds and hing after that add the mixture. 3. Fry it till it turns golden brown. Add turmeric powder, salt, hing, garam masala, black pepper powder 4. Grind tomoto with dry fruits 5. Once it starts leaving oil, add yoghurt and milk and bring it to boil. 6. Fry paneer cubes and add it to the mixture. 7. Add corriander leaves for garnishing
January 16, 2012
I am reading a non-academic book after long and what a wonderful book I have to resume my reading - the biography of Steve Jobs. I have only read it half way but am already in awe of the genius and his penchant for perfection. Adi who has finished reading it says that as you read the book your liking for Jobs will follow a bell curve. You begin by disliking him for all his quirky behavior and instead love the soft Woznaik and by mid-way his crazy antics exasperate you. But as you progress you realize the genius of the guy and his zeal and passion to create some beautiful products which only he could have thought of and pursued to perfection. I cant wait to read more but at the same time I don't want it to finish fast. Hats off to you Sir! Updating the blog from my mac :-)
January 12, 2012
that aint coming.. Or the moment of truth in your lies When everything feels like the movies Yeah you bleed just to know you're alive And I don't want the world to see me 'Cause I don't think that they'd understand When everything's meant to be broken I just want you to know who I am And I'd give up forever to touch you 'Cause I know that you feel me somehow You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be And I don't want to go home right now And all I can taste is this moment And all I can breathe is your life And sooner or later it's over I just don't wanna miss you tonight Yeah I still love this song despite the years that have passed by.